What I love most about this book is how beautifully disgusting it is, and I mean that in a good way! Nightfall Gardens would be the outcome if Tim Burton, Lemony Snicket and JK Rowling all decided to write a book together. Actually, I can picture Tim Burton creating this film, and it would be excellent.
The Blackwoods are cursed, especially the Blackwood women. They are cursed to protect a home and gardens filled with dark creatures found only in nightmares. Lily is the last Blackwood woman and if she dies, the evil will be released upon the world.
After realizing that he is being followed, Jonquil begins training Silas to become one of the nightriders, a band of men who keep the evil of the three gardens from escaping.
Follow these two brave children as they fight against three-headed giant dogs, nasty witches, and giant spiders on a quest to find a way to reverse the curse and trap all the evil forever. This is a book to buy if you love Harry Potter.
Quality: 16/17 Lightning Bolts
- Grammar 1 LB
- Story Flow 4 LB
However, as the story progressed I quickly realized why the book started this way. The highly action packed story takes you from start to finish before you can even blink. I was so engrossed in what was happening that I devoured this book.
The quickness of the book does not keep you from learning about the two main characters. It is through going to Nightfall Gardens and having this huge burden placed upon their shoulders that we learn of Lily and Silas’ true nature.
- Style 4 LB
- Character Development 3 LB
- Story 4 LB
Compared to Harry Potter 17/21 Lightning Bolts
- Did I fall in love with the characters enough to cry at their deaths or shout in happiness at their triumphs? 3 LB
- Were there amazingly planned hidden clues throughout the book foreshadowing the end? 3 LB
- Twists that you never saw coming? 2 LB
- Was a world created that made you want to pack up your bags and move into it? Was it so realistic that your felt it could actually be true? 4 LB
- Magic that is convincing and original. 4 LB
- Would I read the sequel? 1 LB (I am already reading it!)